Friday, October 5, 2007

Why Create Designer Jewelry? Interview with J. Wass of J. Wass Original Designer Jewelry

Q: Why did you decide to create designer jewelry?

A: As a jewelry designer I am often asked how I got into jewelry design initially. The first word that cames to mind whenever someone asks me this is creativity. It is just what I do in a sense. As an artist and a designer I constantly have ideas in my head that I want to express to the outside world. I feel fortunate when I am able to do so successfully. Whether it is through paint, cooking, or gemstones creating new and interesting things is something that I am passionate about.
Q: What made you make a vintage inspired collection?
A: Specifically speaking to the current line, I love the ability to incorporate history into the modern world. Antique and Vintage jewelry is wonderful but honestly great examples are very difficult to find. As a dealer in these original pieces, I quickly found this to be the case. The best pieces are away in collections and not accessible to the public. Also many have been damaged from years of use or are too delicate and no loger can be worn. One day I thought to myself, why not create pieces myself that reflect these wonderful styles of the past but do them in my own way.
Q: What do you feel makes your line unique from other designer jewelry collections on the market?
A: All of my pieces are hand made by me personally. I do all my own wirework, construction and designs. The pieces that I make are very limited in their production. Some that use special materials, such as antique beads or findings are one of a kind couture pieces that you will not find ever again. Each piece I feel is a piece of myself, something that I have held with my own hands, spent hours designing and redesigning until it is just right.
Q: You mentioned that you use antique pieces in your line, can you tell us more about that?
A: Every piece that I design for the collection either incorporates authentic antique or vintage pieces or has elements that were cut from molds that are as much as 100 years old. Lately I have been busy collecting antique French artifacts dating back as far as the 1700's. I just think that it feels wonderful to own a piece of history, to wonder where this element might have been, who it might have belonged to...these things give the piece a true sense of romanticism.
Q: Do you feel it is more difficult to incorporate these pieces as opposed to creating something from all new materials?
A: Those who know me best know that I never shy away from a challenge. If something doesn't work or fit at first I can usually find a way to use it if given the chance. Yes, sometimes it can be a challenge to use antique pieces as every piece is completely unique in its construction, but that is why my pieces are what they are and not cookie-cutter jewelry that you might find elsewhere.
Q: Where can you find your current line?
A: For the momement I have made the decision to exclusively offer my pieces through my website. I want to work directly with my customers at this point in time and offer the possibility of custom made pieces. This may change in the near future which may drastically limit the availability of my pieces.
Q: Where do you see your line going in the near future?
A: As an artist I feel like my work is always evolving in new directions. I want to be able to continue to work on my one-of-a-kind pieces that use these antique European findings that I have been collecting. I always find new gems and pearls to use as well, which often times give me inspiration in their own natural beauty. I just want to keep designing beautiful jewelry that brings joy and a sense of history and glamour to the women who wear them.


J. Wass Original Designer Jewelry: Everyday designer necklace & wedding jewelry selections
Offering designer jewelry originals & wedding jewelry inspired by vintage jewelry and incorporating modern style. Made using vintage couture techniques with vintage filigree, genuine pearls, and semi-precious gemstones. Custom designs offered.

No comments: